- Join for free
- A 3 day trial period costs £1.95 ($3.17)
- 1 month’s upgraded membership is £39.99 ($65.02) – you will charged this amount if you fail to cancel your trial period on the third day
Prices are subject to change. For the most up to date information, please refer to the actual website.
- Send emails to other members
- Upload and view photos, including the option to set up a private folder
- See which members have been viewing your profile
- Create a hotlist of your favourite members
- Chat using an instant messenger
- Be matched to other members, save time by not having to continually search for them
- Mate1.com allows you to flirt with other members for free
- Access private chat rooms to keep things personal
- Block members if you don’t want to hear from them
- Find members in your local area or from further afield
Performing a Search:
You may search for other members by the following criteria…
- Age range
- Distance from you
- Members with photos
- Body type
- Smoking and drinking habits
If you’re looking for a date then there are plenty of people in the same boat, many of whom are looking to internet dating websites to help them find a ‘special someone’. Mate1 has a fairly substantial online presence and allows you to try its services for a small price before you decide to make the plunge and pay the monthly subscription fee. But is it worth the money?
The short answer is ‘probably not’, but why not? Well sadly this site doesn’t do a great deal very well and there are a few hidden annoyances which might put you out of pocket. Although its 3 day trial is a good way to get a sense of the site as a full member, Mate1.com automatically charges you its full price (which is in no way cheap) if you fail to cancel on the third day of your trial. It seems unfair and slightly immoral given that they aren’t too outright in telling you this from the offset. But let’s assume that you do decide to pay for the service, what do you get for your money?
Setting up a profile is a fairly standard, if uninspired, affair. The quality of members’ photos is below par as a general rule and most members seem to appear to only have uploaded one or two. Search results are fine but not breathtaking and the likelihood is that once you’ve performed a search you won’t find many active members who will be ready and willing to get in touch. The lack of activity is unsettling and means that you’re not likely to find a date or even a conversation. Despite not having fully completed our profile or even uploaded a photo, we received 5 messages from “members”. This is very suspicious (would you bother to send someone a message if they had almost nothing on their profile?) and you aren’t even able to read any of the messages until you’ve paid for the privilege.
Features are few and none of them are particularly special or innovative, though you can send flirts for free. There are options for setting up and viewing private photo collections but you have to be a paying member to access them.
Overall Mate1.com is a poor dating website which offers little chance of getting a date but charges a very high membership fee. Its trial period is an option but you must make sure that you cancel it before it expires or you’ll find yourself footing a large bill in no time.